There are many problems facing today's youth. Many of the long standing issues pertain to drug abuse, crime, violence, sexuality and poverty. In addition there are personal challenges that many youth have to deal with. These may include:
- Identity Crisis - Who am I?
- Lack of self confidence and low self esteem
- Peer Pressure - Being cool vrs obeying parents
- Confusion about moral issues - What is right and wrong?
- The negative impact of the electronic world? - internet, TV, movies
- Competitiveness at School - Being smart or not? Sports not for everyone.
Below are links to programs and services to help you find information or to connect to someone for help:
- Finaly - Futures In Newfoundland And Labrador's Youth (FINALY) is a harmless, secluded place for teens who are in need of truthful, precise information and guidance about fitness, feelings, and life. Finaly is reachable 24 hours a day and seven days a week in order for you to get information approved by specialists such as physicians, psychologists, and counselors.
- ACTNL- ACT is a non-profit organization dedicated to reducing the negative health, economic, and environmental effects of tobacco use on the people of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Violence Prevention Initiative- The Violence Prevention Initiative reflects the Provincial government's commitment to addressing the problem of violence in this province.